- This event has passed.
An Island Without Water – Understanding the Inequities to Accessing the Waterfront
While living in a city surrounded by water, many New York City residents are either unaware or unable to access their nearest waterfront, preventing important use of recreational, educational, and/or communal spaces. Join us for a conversation that discusses the current inequities in access to usable waterfronts, how environmental justice communities carry the burden, and the severe limitations of underdeveloped waterfronts that provide few community benefits and are at significant risk due to climate hazards. We will also explore the physical/mental/social implications of not being able to access these natural, water-filled, and inspiring spaces.
– Ben Regas, Community Organizer, Waterfront Alliance
– Arif Ullah, Executive Director; South Bronx Unite
– Furhana Husani, Director of Programs and Climate Initiatives, Waterfront Alliance
– John Doyle, President, City Island Rising
– Daniel Ranells, Director of Programs and Operations, Bronx River Alliance