How the Global North Can Accept Responsibility for the Climate Emergency and Act Fairly to Solve It
The session will address:
– That we are in a climate crisis and there is a need for immediate action to reduce consumption; stop the emissions, extraction, and exploitation of the Global South; and provide resources to prevent, adapt, and rebuild.
– How the historical exploitative extraction of resources from the Global South has resulted in the accumulation of economic resources in the Global North and the depletion of economic resources in the Global South. This history is ongoing and is combined with oppressive financial structures (based in colonialism and racism) which put the Global South in debt to the Global North.
– The concept of Loss and Damage, referring to a concept adopted in the United Nations climate talks at the urging of the Global South. Its implementation will be a key issue in the UN climate talks moving forward.
– Why resources to solve the climate crisis are only available in the Global North and some ideas on how it is possible to access these funds.
– What are the underlying human patterns of behavior that underlie the confusions in our society that have created the current crises? There is internal work that the people of the Global North need to do to accept their historical responsibility and back the Global South to develop just proposals which redress the current economic inequality and disparate impact of the climate crisis.