- This event has passed.
Mitigating the Economic and Health Impact of COVID-19 across Africa
- Zweli Mkhize, Minister of Health of the Republic of South Africa and former Treasurer General of the African National Congress
- H.E. Amira El Fadil, Commissioner for Social Affairs, African Union Commission, Former Minister of Welfare and Social Security of the Republic of the Sudan, and Former Minister of Social Affairs for the Khartoum State Government
- Donald Kaberuka, Board Chair of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, Former President and Board Chair of the African Development Bank, Former Minister of Finance of Rwanda, AU Special Envoy for COVID-19, and Board Member of the Center for Global Development
- Trevor Manuel, Former Commissioner, Former Minister and Chairperson of the South African Planning Commission, Former Minister of Finance of the Republic of South Africa, and AU Special Envoy for COVID-19
- Lawrence H. Summers, Charles W. Eliot University Professor and President Emeritus of Harvard University, Former Director of the National Economic Council, Former Secretary of the Treasury of the United States, and Board Chair of the Center for Global Development
- Tidjane Thiam, Former Chief Executive Officer of Credit Suisse, Former Chief Executive Officer and Chief Financial Officer of Prudential, and Former Minister of Planning and Development of Côte d’Ivoire, and AU Special Envoy for COVID-19
- Moderator – Nancy Birdsall, President Emeritus and Senior Fellow, Center for Global Development
About the Event
Join the Center for Global Development, the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, and the African Union for a high-level discussion with some of the world’s most prominent voices on economic development and global health. The event will focus on the economic impact of COVID-19 on Africa, longer-term health and social consequences of the outbreak, and how global cooperation and the international response to the pandemic may evolve going forward. The conversation will also explore the broader health and development implications for Africa and reflect on salient lessons learned during this unprecedented time in our shared history.