Sovereign Wealth Funds in 2022: What to Expect
Please join the Sovereign Wealth Research program at the IE Center for the Governance of Change and ICEX Invest in Spain, for the presentation of the 2021 Sovereign Wealth Funds Report* followed by a high-level discussion on global sovereign wealth funds. Drafted with the participation of internationally renowned experts, the 2021 SWF Report analyzed the investment and strategy trends of the SWF industry. The period 2020-2021 marked a record by deal activity and by assets under management, surpassing $10 trillion for the first time. Yet how are the 2022 events affecting SWF strategies? The panel will uncover the responses of SWFs as long-term investors to the pandemic effects, and the recent geopolitical and economic turbulences. The discussion will also showcase the co-investment solutions and paradoxes of SWFs, how countries and companies attract SWF money and the role SWFs can play in achieving sustainable development goals.
*A complimentary copy of the Report will be available at the end of the event.
18:15 Registration Opens
18:30 Welcome Remarks
- Bruno Fernández, Trade Commissioner, Trade Commission of Spain in New York, ICEX
- Doan Trang Nguyen, Regional Senior Manager North America, IE University
18:40 Highlights of the 2021 Sovereign Wealth Funds Report
- Javier Capapé, Director Sovereign Wealth Research – Center for the Governance of Change, IE University
19:00 Panel Discussion on SWFs
- Elaine Genser, Head of Partnerships and Investment Advisor Officer United Nations Joint SDG Fund
- Daniel Adamson, President & Senior Managing Director, Capital Constellation & Wafra
- Adrián Blanco, Head of Funding Department & Head of LATAM-Desk, ICEX
- Moderator: Javier Capapé, Director SWR – Center for the Governance of Change, IE University
19:40 Questions from the Audience
20:00 Networking Cocktail
About the Speaker
Javier Capape is the Director of the Sovereign Wealth Research program at the IE Center for the Governance of Change and Adjunct Professor at IE University. He earned his PhD from ESADE Business School and the University of Illinois (USA). He has been Con-sultant at the United Nations Environment Program on Sovereign Wealth Funds and Sustainable Development Goals. Since 2012, he is SovereigNET Research Afﬁlia-te at The Fletcher School (Tufts University) and Co-Editor of the Sovereign Wealth Funds Reports series, an initiative backed by ICEX. He has published in top acade-mic journals such as the Academy of Management Perspectives and Oxford Univer-sity Press. His research has been regularly cited in international media (including Financial Times, The Economist, Wall Street Journal, Reuters).