- This event has passed.
The First Innovation Forum in the WHO Western Pacific Region
The First Innovation Forum in the WHO Western Pacific Region (15-17 September 2020) aims to provide policy support to countries on innovation to identify, test and advance innovative approaches to pressing health problems including COVID-19.
During the 3-day virtual event, high-level policymakers and thought leaders will discuss how innovation can help countries to future-proof their health systems, and the role of WHO in supporting them. The interactive panel sessions will provide an opportunity to discuss key topics such as innovation for healthy life course, environment for health, impact-driven solutions, and harnessing digital tools for health.
- Lay out a vision for innovation in health systems with societies adapting to the challenges of climate change, health security, ageing populations, chronic disease, and the aftermath of COVID-19
- Explore ways in which WHO could set up a platform to assist Member States to conceptualize innovative solutions, put them into action, apply them at scale, and sustain them
- Top-level policymakers who make decisions on research, development and innovation
- Senior managers and public health practitioners who generate and manage innovation projects
- Advisers,experts, and thought leaders in areas relating to innovation who can support WHO and Member States (non-health official participants)
- Community leaders, representatives of civil society, academia, professional associations, media and private sector.
- General public from the Western Pacific with interest in public health and innovation.
Confirmed speakers (Full list of speakers and short bios can be found in the programme here):
- Samira Asma, Assistant Director-General, WHO
- Seth Berkley, CEO, Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance
- Sandro Galea, Dean, Boston University School of Public Health; Chair, Emergency Task Force on Coronavirus & Equity, Massachusetts Public Health Association
- Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief, The Lancet
- Kathy Jetñil-Kijiner, Co-founder and Director, Jo-Jikum
- Ilona Kickbusch, Founding Director and Chair, Global Health Centre at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva
- Shiao-yin Kuik, Co-founder and Director, The Thought Collective
- Yinuo Li, China Country Director, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation